20 features of life in the United States, which can be confusing
1. Alcohol culture None of the party will not pass without gallons of alcohol shipped in plastic pots with ice. Beer in the shops apart packages. Any event — a football match, a super bowl or just Friday night — starts and continues at the bar. However, Americans know exactly their measure.
2. Habit to walk around the house in shoes No, it’s not just on TV. Few people keep Slippers for guests at home. Cleanliness on the roads allows you not to take off your shoes in the apartment with the same clean (well, almost) conscience, although I never understand it. They say some Americans may regard your request to take off your shoes as an assault on their freedom.
3. Freedom in everything If you want to run in a swimsuit on the street, juggling disco balls – you’re welcome, the city is waiting for you. No one will be surprised by a man in a parrot costume, rather surprised by a woman in a dress, with perfect styling and makeup, which goes to the subway. Yandex.Direct New Nissan X-Trail nissan.ru Meet the new Nissan X-Trail on the official website. Learn more. Americans are people without complexes. Even the problem of excess weight could be turned into a bodypositive movement. Not to complicate what can be simplified is the whole point of the American worldview.
4. Need for cash If you have several credit cards in your pocket, it does not mean that you can buy everything and everywhere. A lot of shops, eateries, restaurants accept only cash. Here’s a fact. What to say — here still use Bank checks.
5. Loud conversation At the party you will be surrounded by the crowd and music. Want to chat — shout. Do not be afraid to seem uncultured: people do as they are comfortable. Recently I almost lost my voice and spat of the head of the husband cocktail. The only way out is to get used to it.
6. City dogs Lack of communication — the problem of all employed people. Many decide to fill it with a pet. But if you decide to have a doggie, first you will need to buy an apartment (landlords usually do not want to see animals in their apartments), issue a veterinary passport and get ready to spend money on a new furry friend. (And it’s still easier than finding a real friend here.) All the parks have playgrounds with pools for Pets, a popular hairdresser and a nanny for the dogs.
7. Laundromats Laundromats or launderettes are almost in every home and quite easy to use. All you need is two free hours, Laundry detergent and a couple of dollars in 25-cent coins. We got a washing machine, and it made life easier: socks are not lost along the way, do not exchange money, save time. But not electricity.
8. Expensive electricity New York is hot in summer and cold in winter. Heat in homes is often provided by air conditioning with heating function. In the cold season, the electricity bill can exceed $ 300. This is one of the reasons why people do not install washing machines in their apartments. Yandex.Direct Official Samsung service nord-remont.ru In-home service for 1 hour. Certified masters. Branded spare parts. Nord-Service! However, the evening streets of new York city filled with lights. “Here the electricity is reduced (or raised, if you like) to the level of a trained animal in a circus. Here he was forced to grimace, jump over obstacles, wink, dance. Calm Edison electricity turned into Durov sea lion. It catches balls with its nose, juggles, dies, comes to life, does whatever it is told. Electric parade never stops” – a better description than in the book of Ilf and Petrov “one-Story America”, I can not find.
9. The universe of fast food Everything should be fast, fat, sweet, harmful and loud music. Italian pizza, bagels — a legacy of Jewish cuisine – Chinese noodles, American pancake waiting around every corner. New York is one big restaurant created by immigrants, which complicates the choice, but will prepare you for discoveries. In what city can you still find a Ukrainian diner with an American menu?
10. Metro — “cave of the rat king» Sifco called Rat Pizza really says a lot about the biggest metro in the world which operates since 1836. The price of a single trip is $ 2.75. Unlimited for a month — $ 200. Overloaded subway sometimes baffling. You can stay in traffic for 20 minutes. Or the branch may stop working due to weather conditions. Or it will change direction, and you accidentally leave to explore new lands.
11. Serious attitude to emergency situations A snowstorm with wet snow and wind is considered a heavy snowfall. Usually these days cancel the movement of some subway lines and aircraft departures, close schools and universities. Having received a warning about the bad weather, people are thoroughly bought in supermarkets in advance. (Only the Russians can float waist-deep in the snow to buy sweet tea.) In General, in any situation, if there was an accident or someone became ill in the subway, the police with the ambulance will appear in a matter of minutes. Yandex.Direct Yacht and boat rental. Let’s hit the road f911serf.ru Adventure. Yekaterinburg, Sredneuralsk and Tavatuy. Choose a yacht and a pond.
12. Pride parades Local residents are very proud of this event, social networks are filled with rainbow photos and social advertising every year. Even churches raise rainbow flags. All that remains is to be proud with the Americans, chewing on the unity of rainbow donuts from a nearby bakery.
13. Insurance or life Medicine in the US is expensive. You won’t even get an ambulance to the hospital for free. This has to be tolerated, as with taxes. If you want to live well — pay. Medical insurance is mandatory, without it a single appointment with a doctor will cost 1 000-3 000 dollars.
14. Winning equality Women in America fought so hard for their rights that now no one gives them a place in the subway, and the offer from a man to pay for lunch lady can be regarded as an insult, so now almost no one offers. Russian girls have repeatedly complained to me about this “strange” behavior of guys. Unfortunately or fortunately, we have to adapt to these rules.
15. Caring for the environment Megalopolis is always a stone jungle. Each resident solves this problem in his own way: someone greens the roof, someone — a balcony or a yard. Everything looks very cozy. Still it is impossible to forget about sorting of garbage with which not everything is so simple. And in no city in the world where I’ve been, I’ve seen so many wild animals in parks: squirrels, chipmunks, turtles, swans, ducks, raccoons. And if you go to distant areas, there is a chance to meet even wild deer and bears.
16. Unpredictable climate Fifteen minutes ago the sun was shining, and here comes the downpour. After watching movies as a child, I was until the last in full confidence that people in the United States are not aware of the winter. Why else would they wear street shoes at home and light jackets in January? It turned out that the local population has been developing immunity to these conditions for years, so it is normal to meet children in t — shirts and shorts in the cold season.
17. Paid parking Everywhere. Keep the car is not as expensive as paying for Parking and infinitely slow at every traffic light. Given the frequent inability of drivers to Park in a different way, except to crash into someone else’s bumper, over the purchase of the car should think more than once or twice. During rush hour you will drive longer than you could by metro. New York has long been a city for pedestrians.
18. Alternative modes of transport New Amsterdam, as new York was called four centuries ago, is perfectly adapted for Cycling. Use the city Bike rental system, and no traffic will stop you. Some extremals manage to dissect on bicycles even in the winter. I prefer summer walks, however, in the heat they are better to plan for the evening. Skateboarding is popular no less.
19. Mandatory tips You must tip the staff. Sometimes this amount is entered in the check, sometimes give cash. The first trip to the salon was a torture: I imagined a picture of how embarrassingly I leave a tip in small bills, quietly slipping them to the master. Everything turned out to be easier: when paying for the service, the client chooses through the payment terminal how many percent of the amount he is ready to leave for a tip. Even before this case, a man came to our house to connect the Internet. Long to sigh, called on the phone, going out. After I warned him that I was in a hurry, the guy perked up and, smiling sweetly, said: “we Have to wait an hour! I’m gonna go sit in the car!”I honestly was waiting for this a long time. No one would have thought it was one of the methods of asking for a tip.
20. Concentrated multinational Chinatown blends in Little Italy, Koreatown business rests in the heart of Midtown, the Hasidic Brooklyn peacefully bordered by the Russian regions. The norm for the average new Yorker is to know 2-3 languages. A teacher at my University speaks four languages at once, so that a multinational audience can process information more quickly.
All people in the world are the same, there is a difference only in the way of thinking, which is reflected in the standard of living. Americans are still a little crazy — in the best sense of the word. I wish you to come and see for yourself.